A rising star in the spice aisle, turmeric has developed a following among holistic wellness practitioners and the health conscious crowd. But its safety is being questioned following the death of a San Diego woman who received a turmeric treatment intravenously, reports NBC News. Jade Erick died March 16 after turning to the Indian spice as a treatment for eczema. The San Diego Medical Examiner’s Office ruled her death an accident.
While generally viewed as safe, too much turmeric (as with anything) can have its dangers. WebMD cites an instance of one person who experienced abnormal heart rhythms after taking more than 1,500 mg of turmeric twice a day. Certain medical conditions, like gallbladder problems or diabetes, can be exacerbated by the spice, and mixing it with other medications is not advisable. The safety of administering turmeric through an IV aren’t well known as the practice is less common.
Mark Stengler, a naturopathic doctor who offers turmeric orally, told NBC News, “It hasn’t been well studied. It’s more theoretical, so it’s more investigational.”